Apply for Your Oregon Trucking Permit with The Expertise of Global Multi Services

April 22, 2021 by admin0Oregon FilingOregon Permit

As the United States of America is completely federal in nature, the states are allowed to make their own laws and jurisdictions, subject to the citizens of their states along with the trade and commerce of their states. Taking advantage of such rights, the state of Oregon has constituted its own trucking permits, and the commercial vehicles operating in the state of Oregon, either interstate or intrastate, have to comply with the state’s decree and must get the Oregon Trucking Permit. In this blog, I am going to share with you the key points of Oregon Trucking Permit, tell you why it is essential, and many more.

Those who have to pay Weight-mile Tax

ODOT or the Oregon Department of Transportation mandates those intrastate and interstate travelers, to pay and report highway-use taxes, who travel within state or from Oregon to other states for commercial purposes, and have a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 lbs. The ODOT also statutes those who don’t own tax to file for the Oregon DOT Plates or Oregon Weight and Tax Identifiers, and In case you fail to do so, an ODOT could even suspend your account. But there are exceptions as well. Like vehicles operating for the government, private and off road vehicles, and at last those vehicles operating for farm purposes are exempted to pay the ODOT Weight-mile tax. But the exempted operations could be subject to state fuel tax. The following categories are required to pay the ODOT taxes.

Oregon Intrastate Motor Carrier Authority

Those commercially operating drivers or vehicles, like pickup trucks, vans, trucks, and trailers, semi-tractors, that travel within and under the borders of the Oregon state are authorized to register for the Oregon Motor Carrier Authority. And do not get confused with the term Oregon Motor Carrier Authority, it is one of the names of ODOT.

Private Carriers with Gross weight or Combined Gross weight of 26,001 lbs or above

Now those private carriers that are maneuvering their own product within the borders of Oregon state in vehicles like Van, pickup trucks, semi-tractors, and trucks and trailer are obligated to register with the ODOT or Oregon Motor Carriers Authority if the gross vehicle weight of their vehicle is 26,001 lbs or above. As a private carrier, it is not necessary for you to register for the Oregon-intrastate Motor Carrier Authority but you have to comply with financial responsibilities.

And the above-mentioned vehicles are also needed to register for the Oregon Weight-Distance Tax if they have a vehicle having a gross weight of 26,001 lbs or above.

For-Hire Carrier

If you are a mover or owns a moving company and operates within the borders of Oregon state, for commercial reasons, your van, truck trailer, semi-tractors, and other prior mentioned vehicles are required to register for the Oregon Intrastate Motor Carrier Authority. Plus those vehicles which have a gross vehicle weight of, 10,000 lbs or 10,001 lbs and more, along with the product weight, have to carry a minimum of $ 300,000 and $750,000, respectively, as personal liability or Property Damage Liability Insurance.

Those Crossing Oregon State lines For commercial Purposes

Those vehicles which haul out of the state borders for commercial purposes, and even the private carriers, have to register for the USDOT Number and Unified Carrier Registration Process. But the vehicles which have a gross weight of fewer than 26,000 lbs, or less than 2 axles, are not required to register for IRP License Plate or IFTA Fuel Tax. And those vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 lbs, along with more than 3 axles, have to register for the IRP License Plate, IFTA Fuel Tax, and Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Process.


In this blog, I have provided all the information regarding the Oregon Permits, but there is still much more to know and for that, I would suggest you refer to Global Multi Services.