Oregon Permit: Important License Needed To Start A Trucking Company

June 1, 2021 by adminOregon FilingOregon Permit

The trucking industry is one of the most regulated industries in the United State and each state has its requirements. Before you start operating as a trucking company, there are numerous government and state requirements you need to meet. You will also register and renew some legal documents every year depending on your base state and type of business. With truckers moving more than 70% of the nation’s freight each year, it’s no doubt the trucking industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country. Taking advantage of this growing industry is a smart decision but the hardest part is obtaining the necessary license and permits such as the Oregon Permit, Oregon Filing, and many more.

Navigating your way through this process can be difficult but it is achievable with the right guide. Read on as Global Multi Services takes us through the import permit and license needed to start a trucking company and obtain Oregon Permit.

Commercial Driver’s License

All the company’s truck drivers must have a valid commercial driver’s license. CDLs testing standards vary from state to state. Therefore, you need to do your research or get a manual from the Department of Motor Vehicles office in your state to know their requirements. The requirements of obtaining a commercial driver’s license include the following

  • You must be above twenty-one years to drive a truck
  • Extensive background check
  • A written permit exam
  • A driving training and test.

USDOT And Motor Carrier Number

The USDOT number is an identification number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to motor carriers. It is used to track the motor carrier safety records and other important information regarding compliance. The Motor Carrier Number is an interstate authority given to trucking companies by the FMCSA to haul freight across different states.

It also indicates the type of trucking business you operate and the types of goods you are permitted to transport. Both numbers can be obtained by registering with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

UCR And IRP Registration

The Unified Carrier Registration is a registration mandated by the federal government for individual and trucking companies that operate interstate commerce. They are to pay an annual registration fee based on the total number of vehicles in the fleet. To register for UCR and also get an Oregon Permit, you need your company’s Motor Carrier and USDOT number.

The International Registration Plate is an agreement between the forty-eight states in the US and ten provinces in Canada that allows qualified motor carriers to travel across member jurisdictions with a single license plate. The motor carrier registers for IRP in their base state and pays apportionable fees quarterly.  This payment is calculated based on the miles traveled by truck in each member state.

IFTA Registration

The International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between forty-eight states in the US and ten provinces in Canada. The agreement allows motor carriers operating interstate to report and pay fuel taxes across all member states using a single fuel tax license. The fuel tax register is paid to the base state which distributes it to the other states. With IFTA registration, trucking companies can process Oregon filing and Oregon Permits.